Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Momentary Lapse

A few weeks ago, I discovered a short film competition put out by Intel, in a collaboration with YouTube. I read about the details, reviewed past submissions, and studied the official rules. I immediately had a few ideas up my sleeve, and it was only a matter of a few minutes until I realized that I was eligible to enter.

The video competition is entitled "A Momentary Lapse", and it urged creative photographers/videographers to create a montage of photographs, or a 30-90 second video in which they use the concept of time manipulation to tell a visual story. Whether contestants used the effect of time-lapse, slowed down images, or both, it had to be unique. Within a few days, I had my shot-list and shooting script planned out; I knew exactly what I wantd to schoot, where I wanted to schoot it, who I was going to approach for help, and when the ideal time to execute everything would be. My idea revolved around documenting four different artists from completely different parts of the world (who I actually have the luxury of knowing), as they endure in their creative craft. Throughout the entire process, I took pictures and extracted stills to post on instagram, facebook, and email. A portion of the contest winner decision relies on user votes, so I made sure to spread the documentation to as many people as I could. When I finally uploaded the finished product to YouTube for my submission, I spread the contest link to as many people as I could through email messaging and facebook.  

My first subject was a 75-year old Cuban painter. I paid to have him paint an entire piano that was just given to me by a family friend. From the piano's edges to the keys themselves, he covered the wood in creative genius. I filmed the entire process, and later cut it up into a time-lapse work of art.
My second subject was a 22-year old Rutgers student majoring in Fine Arts. I shot him creating a characteur-sketch of a young woman using lead to draw.
My third subject was a 25-year old Brazilian barber who has mastered hair-art. He studies a picture of a particular person, place, thing, or piece of writing, and completely replicates it on someone's head, using nothing but his barber tools and talent. It isn't hair stencil art, it is completely free hand. I had him bring in 5 male models, and he shaved the evolution of man across each of their heads.
My final subject was a Turkish graffiti artist from New York. I filmed as he created an intricate and beautiful landscape painting of New York in the nighttime (all in about 60 seconds), using nothing but spray paint and knives. 

After each artist finished their work, they pass their tool (paintbrush, pencil, razor, spray can, etc) to the next person. This gave them a sense of connection without ever having actually been in the same place. Below are pictures that show my documentation, online exposure, voting process, and the final video.
These two Instagram/facebook posts gave my followers an insight into my first shooting day, where I shot Giuseppe Aldama painting my entire piano.  
Photo I used on Instagram and Facebook that shoed me shooting Ian, the very talented 22-year old Rutgers Newark student.



Above was the message I sent out to friends, family, and networks to contribute by voting for my finished product on the Intel contest page. Below are examples of some of the Facebook comments that followed the message.


      

AND FINALLY, this is the completed video. There were many voters, many followers, and it was successfully submitted. Now, all I must do it wait for the "contest winners announcement" in a few weeks. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment